Like all our social projects, the wildlife volunteering project operates in a unique setting. South Africa has a conservation culture and this is at the core of the Cheetah Sanctuary less than 60 minutes outside Cape Town. By volunteering at the sanctuary you will be involved in not only the care for the non-releasable cheetahs, but also for those destined for a wild and free life.
1) Conscious travellers worldwide are increasingly aware not only of conservation but also of the culture and customs of the people around the reserve. We support this approach wholeheartedly. This conservation model creates opportunities for the adjacent communities, their businesses and cultural initiatives.
2) Your weekly fee covers modern comfortable accommodation, transfers from and to the airport, two meals per work day and a Cape Town city trip. Overall, you can expect to be comfortable, and well looked after in the bush by our experienced field guides. Your fees also include up to 5% donation towards
The establishment of the cheetah centre in 2016 was due to the dramatic decline in the cheetah species. The base for the project’s substantial cheetah conservation and animal welfare operations takes place in coordination with the relevant local and international conservation authorities. A Release & Reintroduction Program was launched in 2017 meeting with conservation and special cheetah experts, and in August 2018, three pre-release sections between 300-600ha were fenced off within a private game reserve, each section containing holding bomas for the cheetah to acclimatise for a short while to their new wild environment after translocation from the centre. Since then, this pre-release model has been successfully implemented through cooperation with several Private Game Reserves in southern Africa.
You will play an important part in supporting the work of the centre and given wonderful opportunities to learn and experience these incredible creatures. Be prepared to get really stuck in and get your hands dirty, where your varied role will mean no two days are the same.
No special skills are required. Training will be provided. All you need to have is a curiosity for wildlife, being teachable and have a keen interest on how your stay with leave a positive impact.
The cheetah conservation program plays an important role in the protection, restoration and promotion of sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems.
The wildlife program starts on a Sunday and runs throughout the year. Once your application has been approved for the project, screening checks are done, please book your flights to arrive at Cape Town International Airport. Your airport pick-up will be before or no later than 12 midday on arrival day and ready to take you to your accommodation just 1 hour out of the city
Daily duties might also include:
A volunteer’s day starts early and be prepared to get really stuck in and get your hands dirty, where your varied role will mean no two days are the same There will be plenty to do and lots to learn!
● From preparing game meat and feeding all animals, monitoring
● Collecting data and participating in long term animal behavioural study in
connection with feeding times
● Interaction between different animals, animals in heat, enrichment, etc.
● You could also include planning and helping with animal enrichment and
assist the experienced guides with Educational Tours as a “shadowing guide”
● Maintenance in all areas of the Sanctuary
● Assist with farming activities such as harvesting various fruit produce as
well as working in the garden
● If the length of stay and opportunity allows, assist in the relocation or
translocation of cheetahs within our Release and Reintroduction Program
The conservation centre is located in the beautiful Cape Winelands, less than 60 minutes from Cape Town International Airport. You will be collected by 12 midday and taken to the centre to attend Orientation upon arrival, to settle you in comfortably.The volunteer house is situated on the sanctuary with a view onto leopard and cheetah camps, orchards and the impressive Drakenstein Mountains. Your accommodation is modern and comfortable for 6 individuals to share. (18 years +)
2 weeks – £975
3 weeks – £1 410
4 weeks – £1 845
Choose your preferred project type (education, health, community, wildlife, cheetah, marine, family adventure)
Decide when you want to travel and for how long?
Pay your registration fee to secure your spot
Get ready to become part of the transformation!